LFC 21 Day Fast 2013
DAY 6….BECAUSE WE’RE FAMILY!
January 12, 2013
The institution of FAMILY is a masterpiece of God’s design that is intended to show unity, provide strength and safety and, most importantly, offer unconditional love. Today, I want to take a little closer look into the amazing God-concept called FAMILY!
PHOTO ABOVE: CHRISTMAS 2010
FABULOUS, FANTASTIC FAMILY!
Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep. Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate. (Psalm 127:1-5 KJV)
1. GOD IS THE BUILDER OF OUR FAMILY
As a parent, it is our responsibility to train our children and prepare them for their future. We want them to be strong and we build them according to the knowledge that we acquired in our experiences in life. Those human strategy and disciplines are not bad.
Photo: Our amazing Grandchildren: Annabelle and Greyson
However we have to realize that God is the real owner of our children. He is the real builder of our family. We must acknowledge Him as the real head of our family and we must build our family according to His Word. All our effort will be a failure in the end unless we recognize God as the real head in our family.
God uses spiritual pillars to build your house:
- God uses the pillar of His word to build our faith.
- God uses the pillar of prayer to build our trust.
- God uses the pillar of love to build our bond.
- God uses the pillar of understanding to build our character.
- God uses the pillar of forgiveness to make us compassionate.
- God uses the pillar of examples and testimony from parents to build our attitude.
- God uses the pillar of obedience to make us His children.
2. GOD IS THE PROTECTOR OF OUR FAMILY
Psa 127:1… except the Lord keeps the city, the watchman wakes but in vain.
This is the right time to admit our own limitation and ask the help from the real protector of our family-which is none other than our God. We cannot watch and protect our family 24/7. Only the omnipresent and all powerful God is able to do this impossible job of protecting our family.
God use fences to protect our family:
- God uses the fence of His teaching to protect us from false belief.
- God uses the fence of the church and brethren to protect our emotions.
- God uses fence of our family to protect our hearts.
- God uses the fence of his presence to protect our soul.
- God uses the fence of His love so no one can separate us from Him.
3. GOD IS THE PROVIDER FOR OUR FAMILY
Psa 127:2 It is vain for you to rise up early, to take rest late, to eat the bread of [anxious] toil–for He gives [blessings] to His beloved in sleep.
The effectiveness of labors and cares is dependent on the operation and providence of God; and all human strength care, and industry is in itself vain.
God provides us blessings to give us reasons to thank Him:
- God uses the milk and bread of the word of God to nourish us
- God uses the water of His Spirit to refresh and revive us
- God provides favors and opportunities
- God provides our life
- God provides wisdom and abilities
- God provides healing
- God provides wealth
- God provides our jobs
- God provides friends
- God provides partners in life
If God is the foundation of a strong family, then we should build our family on Jesus. Jesus is the Rock, the Strong Foundation of our family.
- We can build our life on Jesus by hearing and obeying His word (Mt 724-25)
- We can build our life on Jesus by making Him our top priority (Mt. 6:33)
- We can also build our life on Jesus by prayer of devotion to Him
- We can build our life on Jesus by trusting Him in every event of our life
- We can build our life on Jesus by inviting Him to be the King and Lord of our life
- We can build our life on Jesus by surrendering our will and plans to Him
PHOTO ABOVE: CHRISTMAS 2012
THE COMPENSATION OF A SUCCESSFUL CHRISTIAN FAMILY
Children: If we can just train them in the ways of the Lord, they can be a reward and a blessing, not only to their parents but to the whole community.
1. Godly children trained by good examples are a reward
Psa 127:3 Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward.(2)
Mentoring our children is not an easy job. It takes prayers, patience and love to train them. But those who successfully prepare them according to the will of God will reap bountifully the fruit of their labor.
2. Godly children. disciplined and bent by God’s Word, will hit the target of God’s will for their life.
Psa 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one’s youth.
As the bow of an arrow is being pulled and bended by the archer and aim it to the right direction, so our children should be bended, shaped to reach the right direction according to the will of God. As we aim the arrow to the right direction and release them, children will reach their proper goal if we prepare them and point them to Jesus. If we release them without proper bending and aiming, they will not reach the right direction.
3. Godly children taught by God are a blessing.
Psa 127:5 Happy, blessed, and fortunate is the man whose quiver is filled with them! They will not be put to shame when they speak with their adversaries [in gatherings] at the [city’s] gate.
The first command of God is for man to be fruitful and multiply. The Lord gave the divine ordinance that every living creature should produce their own kind. As Christian, we should produce the same faith, values and character through our children. Children can be a blessing to us and to the community if we can only train them according to God’s word.
So today, hug your family members-tell them you love them-give them God’s Word-show them a Godly example and let them hear you pray! Set the tone for a great year…..with family!
(today’s devotion includes several excerpts from a message I read called “Building A Strong Christian Family” by Randy Bataanon, Pastor of ONE IN CHRIST INTERNATIONAL CHURCH)