LFC 21 Day Fast
Day 11….Battling In Your Fast!
January 17, 2013
WHY DOES SATAN FIGHT SO HARD AGAINST ME DURING MY FAST?
Some Christians are surprised that even though they are fasting and praying and seeking God like never before they are still going through trials! You mean spiritual, physical and emotional battles will rise up even when we are being obedient to God and becoming closer to Him? Yep (with a bitten lower lip) that is exactly what I’m saying.
To think there will be no fight against the devil before, during and after a fast is a gross misunderstanding of the concept of Spiritual Warfare.
Let’s look at the best example of Jesus and His 40 Day Fast and learn some key truths: Read Luke 4:1-13
The fast itself is indeed a spiritual and physical battle. Get this: the very definition of war is when opposing sides engage in battle. When you decided to fast you actually took the fight TO the devil and he will fight back. If you can recognize the enemy’s battle tactics then you can resist and overcome him.
So let’s examine the “shots’ satan took against Jesus after his fast because he’s still using the same strategies today.
- verse 1: Jesus was LED by the spirit into the wilderness to fast. Being led by the Holy Ghost doesn’t mean your life will now be “nice and easy”. Do you remember the Peace Corp’s famous slogan? “The Toughest Job You’ll Ever Love”! Satan hates it when we allow ourselves to be led by God so he throws at us anything and everything he thinks might bring about our defeat.
- verse 2: Fasting leaves you hungry! You’re stomach is empty, your body is weaker and that’s when satan will tempt and test you, hoping to catch you at your most vulnerable state.
- verse 3: The devil will question your spiritual authority. “If'” you’re the Son of God was his cynical approach to Jesus. “If” you’re really a child of God is an attack on your mind and spirit. You don’t have to “prove” you have the power of God, just walk and live in God’s power and the evidence of your spiritual authority will be clear and substantial! The Bible says, “Signs shall follow them that believe”! (Mark 16:17)
- verse 4: Jesus replied: My life is not sustained by daily miracles such as making bread, I live solely by the Word of Almighty God who, by the way, happens to by my Father! You’re God’s child-He’s your DAD-go to Him and let Him fight the battle with you!
- verses 5-7: Satan’s next ploy is to show you the world and try to convince you He has the power to give it to you if you’ll only serve him–it’s a lie. Remember, the pleasures of sin is just for a season then it is back to reality–and the reality is Sin’s only reward is death!
- verse 8: Jesus uses the Word of God again when He says, “It is written” We must hide and apply the Word of God in our hearts. God’s Word IS our authority!
- verses 9-11: Satan’s last ditch effort is try and twist God’s Word around and use it against you. It’s the same tired old scheme he used against Eve and Adam–“Did God not say?”
- verse 12: Again, it’s GOD”S WORD that Jesus uses to defeat the devil. This one story of Christ’s life should be more than enough to convince us that we need time in God’s Word, to read it, memorize it and then speak it when trouble comes our way.
- verse 13: Finally satan became exhausted in his efforts to tempt Jesus and he left him alone…..FOR A SEASON. This scripture proves to us that no matter how good we are, how faithful a Christian we are, satan will come back again and again to try to destroy our faith in God.
BUT WE KNOW THAT JESUS WAS VICTORIOUS OVER SATAN EVERY TIME!
Look at verse 14! Luke 4:14 (KJV) And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of him through all the region round about.
Jesus returned from his fast in the Power of the Spirit! Jesus returned after battling satan in the Power of the Spirit! Notice in the scripture the word Spirit is capitalized. Jesus didn’t just return with the power of just a good attitude. He came back in the power of the Holy Ghost, the third person in the Godhead!
So let’s recap what happens to each of us before, during and after our fast:
- We are gonna be led by the Holy Spirit into our fast.
- Satan is gonna get mad and start a big fight. (temptations, trials, etc.)
- We are gonna use the Word of God and knock satan back to hell!
- WE WILL COME OUT OF OUR FAST VICTORIOUS AND FULL OF THE POWER OF THE HOLY GHOST!
Many of you are in a fight against satan and he is trying to hammer you left and right. He is trying to stop your fast and stop your faith! But……..
I declare in Jesus name that you have the authority over the enemy. I give you the Word of God: “no weapon formed against you shall prosper”(Isaiah 54:17). Now go in the faith and knowledge that GREATER IS HE THAT LIVES IN YOU THAN HE THAT IS IN THIS WORLD!
Keep Fasting and Praying! – Pastor Steve