Thursday, January 9th, 2014
How Do I Engage in the Proper Pursuit of God!
Today: study this Old Testament perspective. Tomorrow I will give you a New Testament Perspective.
Psalm 63:1-11 King David wrote this song when he was in the wilderness. This chapter reveals the powerful results of David’s Pursuit of God.
Below is a bullet outline of my thoughts on each verse. READ the entire passage first then go back and read each verse one at a time along with each verse’s bullet-point.
- (Verse 1) Possession breeds desire: you are God’s-He is yours, He wants you-you want Him. He who truly longs for God, longs for Him now (early)!
- ( V 2) Church isn’t church at all–without God! Just to be in God’s presence was enough for David but nothing short of God’s presence would satisfy.
- (V 3) To dwell with God is better than life at its best!
- (V 4) If no one else blesses the name of God–His people will!
- (V 5) The love of God is as rich, sumptuous and filling as the richest and most nourishing food you could eat.
- (V 6) Children of God, your pillow is a place of peace. At night-let all you think about and dwell on be God and His goodness.
- (V 7) Meditating on God will remind of you of the many times He delivered you. Being in God’s shadow is sweet to the believer.
- (V 8) We are God’s kids-staying close to His heels. We stick like glue to Him.
- (V 9) The devil is a destroyer and all who follow him are destroyers. But God says those who try to destroy His kids–get destroyed!
- (v 10) Those who seek to destroyer others will be exposed. Their terrible, lying deeds will be left uncovered and become “road-kill” for the other “destroyers” who, like wild dogs, will come and devour them.
- (v 11) But we are “royalty”: like kings and queens who rejoice in, make promises and give glory to—-Our God!
To “engage” means to attract or involve someone’s interest or attention. Let the Pursuit of our life be to “Engage God!” Don’t hide in sin like Adam and Eve did. Attract and involve God in everything you do!
– Pastor Steve
Key Verses: James 3:1-12
Prayer Point: Tame my tongue & train it to speak life
TODAY’S PERSONAL PURSUIT
Glenda Curtis – wife of Senior Pastor, Dr. Buel Curtis
Known as a “prayer warrior”, Glenda speaks in churches and conferences, leads LFC’s prayer ministry and is co-teacher of LFC’s “Gold Team” Senior Adult Sunday School class. She is a loving wife and “mom” as well as a grand and great-grandmother.
Exodus 33:13 …Moses prayer…..”show me now Thy way, that I may now Thee”…..
It has always amazed me that Moses had experienced what I think are some of the most extravagant miracles God ever performed, yet he wanted to know more about this I AM THAT I AM! Yes, God did hide Moses in the cleft of a rock and passed by so he could see his hinder parts, but the ‘knowledge’ Moses wanted came from something greater. In chapter 34 verse 6 God gave the longest description of Himself ever. He described Himself to Moses so completely that there would be no question of how to know Him and follow after Him. Moses’ pursuit of God led him to this knowledge, “The LORD, THE LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth….”
The pursuit of God will teach us mercy, grace, longsuffering, goodness, truth, forgiveness and other fruit of the Spirit which can only come from God. The things of this world will grow strangely dim as we desire to know HIM in HIS fulness, even as the Apostle Paul, “in the fellowship, or participation of His suffering and the power of His resurrection – Philippians 3:10.
– Glenda Curtis